Re: Oracle 7 vs 8, Unix vs NT

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_netaxis.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 19:59:58 -0400

    This question (about the differences) comes up fairly often.  You can
search deja news to find the papers that others have recomended.  In terms
of v7 against v8, you might have some problems with a migration.  But I'm
sure you'll solve them. You can always try a migration with the export/import method (which leaves your v7 database intact) as an experiment to see what you might face.

    As a practical matter what are you going to do? Earlier versions of v7 are no longer supported by Oracle. V8 has already been out for what, 18 months? It won't be that long before v7.3 is no longer supported. At some point you'll have to migrate or pray that you never need help.

Van