Help for a clueless newbie Oracle student

From: Roy Richardson <royster_at_erols.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 15:56:35 -0400

Hello to all, and thanks in advance for reading this, based on the humble header.

I'm enrolled in a Oracle class through George Mason University & obtained the Oracle 8i media pack from Oracle to use for training purposes. It's way more software than I expected, but... I'm trying to get it to start up, all seems loaded onto a stand alone PC with what should be enough resources (RAM etc). The PC's in our class have icons to start & stop a database we use for exercises, these files are found in

c:\orawin95\bin\OSTART80.EXE screen & c:\orawin95\bin\OSTOP80.EXE screen

after installing, probably incorrectly, Personal Edition, Enterprise Edition and documentation files, these two key files still don't exist. I've read a small amount of the >200 MB of html documentation, but have taken the cowards way out & am asking this newsgroup for help on getting this monster started.

Thanks again for any help.

Roy Richardson
royster_at_erols.com Received on Tue Sep 28 1999 - 14:56:35 CDT