Re: oracle experience question

From: DRODRIGU1 <drodrigu1_at_aol.com>
Date: 28 Sep 1999 03:51:48 GMT

I wanted to do Oracle dba work after our dba left the job for a 60% salary increase.

At that time I had quite a bit of experience in C and Unix. I took a continuing education course in SQL to help me find an Oracle related job. I asked the class instructor whether he knew anyone looking for a dba. He gave me the number of a headhunter friend of his that may be after one.

The headhunter was looking for someone with C, Unix, SQL and Spanish. This was for an insurance company wanting to do insurance forms for Florida. I just happened to fill all the requirements for the position. The job was not dba, but I mentioned that was my interest.

The employer the headhunter was working for agreed to pay for all the Oracle dba sequence if I help them out with their immediate need.

I guess I was lucky, but I also had some experience in something that particular employer wanted.

Your best bet to break in this field is to develop skills that will help you land a job in an organization that uses Oracle as their database. Once inside, learn all you can about the Oracle positions and what other skills they use. (Unix is definite a plus)

Find out how can you transfer into such positions. Take advantage of the training offered to employees and take Oracle courses.

Download Oracle software from their site and get acquainted with it. Use your organization books and study. It is not easy, but definitely feasible. Be patient, and you will be ready when the Oracle professionals at your site leave for better paying jobs. You just may be the person to fill in for them. Hope this helps.

Dave Received on Mon Sep 27 1999 - 22:51:48 CDT