Q: How much disk space for database??

From: Randell D. <fipnews_at_fipltd.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 19:05:52 +0100

Gentle People,

If I had a simple names, address, telephone number and email database, and I wanted to search by email address alone, and had 10mbyte (for example) in an ascii text file, how much disc space would I be likely to use if I followed the route and used a database such as Oracle or perhaps a Pearl driven one?

The Reason:
I am writing my own storage of data to binary files in C++ (and creating my own database read/write routines) basically because I figure licenses to Oracle and other databases would be expensive and require additional skills to manage which I (and my small company) cannot afford. Note, I am not a junk emailer but the above just serves as an example to give me a rough idea on how space is used in a database... My curiosity is asking the following question:

The Question:
I know there are "things" such as tables and instances, that Oracle uses to store and reference data. Sometimes duplicate storage of data (I believe) can occur, using extra disc space. If I have a 10mbyte of data like that described above, would Oracle (or indeed any database) have any compression routine in order to give me faster I/O while using less disc space. My C++ writes to binary files which slims things a bit, but I was wondering if Oracle or whatever does a better job in terms of compression. If there is an overhead on license costs, man management costs, extra disc space and more memory, then I will stick with my C++ routines, however if there are major savings to be had in following the route of a database (be it a Pearl driven one or otherwise) then I will consider that route... For the moment though, I need some more meat to be put on the bones before I can decide.

For your info I am normally a HP-Unix chap who can converse to dba's who manage Oracle databases... Its just at the moment I don't seem to know any who could answer my question over a coffee... Your help would be welcome... Please reply via email to fipnews_at_NOJUNKEMAILfipltd.demon.co.uk NOTE Remove the word "NOJUNKEMAIL" from the email address when you reply as some robots send me junk email every now and then after I've posted to the news groups.

Thanks in advance for your time,
Regards
Randel D. Received on Sun Sep 26 1999 - 13:05:52 CDT