classes111.zip - which version!??

From: <swansma_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 16:49:56 GMT

Hello,

I notice on Oracles site that their JDBC drivers are always called: classes111.zip

I have downloaded several classes111.zip files over the past 18 months. I have no idea which one is the latest/best and have no way of telling when they've released a new one unless I go download classes111.zip every week and compare file sizes myself.

It's gotten worse:

Now you can download a classes111.zip file for Oracle8i that will not work/connect to an Oracle805 server. Talk about confusing! If Oracle has chosen to use '111' as some sort of versioning scheme I've been unable to figure it out (it's never changed, even between incompatible versions).

Why doesn't Oracle just have an oraclejdbc.zip file and do away with the meaningless '111' numbers? Or better yet, why doesn't oracle simply use oracle.zip to truly confuse the masses. (And keep with their policy of not giving out any information whatsoever on the different releases of the driver)

Cheers.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sun Sep 26 1999 - 11:49:56 CDT