Re: Oracle 7.3 (and 8i) files on Solaris, NT questions. Please help ...

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 13:40:40 GMT

Hi Jimmy,

I will address the 7.3 part of your question. Instances are usually created by using the Oracle Instance Manager in GUI-mode (just run oradim73.exe without parameters). You should use the advanced tab to specify any non-standard settings. Please note: the init<sid>.ora should already exist. This procedure will generate a createdb on the fly, which in turn will run catalog.sql and catproc.sql.

The createdb you are referring to is a special one. The so-called 'starter' database is stored zipped on the CD-Rom and unpacked to %ORACLE_HOME%\database. The only thing this createdb needs to do is create a controlfile.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA