Re: pl/sql question?

From: Phil Haigh <phil_haigh_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 23:34:49 +0100

<yliu_at_creighton.edu> wrote in message

> ...My understanding is when a exception happens, the control is passed to
the
> exception part of the pl/sql program, and is not returned to the original
> block. So my question is: 'What happened to all the processing before the
> exception occurs? Does this mean all the processing are rolled back?'

When Oracle encounters an exception it will transfer control to the exception block and will NOT undo any changes made prior to the exception being raised. In fact even on deadlock Oracle will only roll back the DBMS statement that raised the error and not any of the statements before it.

This of course gives the application designer greater control (particularly when coupled with the use of savepoints) in deciding what to do when an error is raised...

... have fun learning Oracle. I camoe to Oracle about two years ago from Ingres and I've enjoyed the learning experience.

Phil. Received on Fri Sep 24 1999 - 17:34:49 CDT