Sequence Numbers Fast ?

From: Phil Maechling <phil_at_nickel.gps.caltech.edu>
Date: 24 Sep 1999 16:51:24 GMT

I have an application that uses the Oracle sequence number feature. We call nextval(dual) to get a sequence number.

However measurements show that getting sequence numbers is very slow. To get 80 sequence numbers, it is taking 20 seconds.

I've tried raising the cache on the sequence number involved, but that doesn't seem to improve it to as much as I need.

Is there any way to get sequence numbers out of the system faster than calling nextval.

Are any of the following ideas worth pursuing ?

Any ideas, comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil Maechling
phil_at_gps.caltech.edu Received on Fri Sep 24 1999 - 11:51:24 CDT