Re: Partitioning Time Based Tables in Oracle8

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 11:05:59 +0100

start_time/end_time optimisation is always a pain if you stick with simple tables and SQL.

In you case, you need to partition by one of the columns and create a local index on the other.

The column to partition by is the column which will usually result in the larger number of partitions being eliminated - it's your data, you have to make the choice.

If you partition on start_date and index on end_date you might want to consider a DESCENDING index (if you are on 8.1)..

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk