Calling Stored Procedures from VB.

From: Collin Bath <cbath_at_nt.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 09:03:04 +0100

Can anyone use ORACLE stored procedures/packages to retrieve multiple rows from the database to the client using Visual Basic 6.0 ?

Currently I am using ADO to call ORACLE v7.3.3 stored procedures that perform various insert/update transactions but would like to be able to encapsulate SQL in an ORACLE database and pass rows back to the client.

There are two methods for passing rows between the client and server within ORACLE PL/SQL and I wonder if I can do the same using VB. Any method will do if not possible with ado, (oledb calls etc..)

Option One
Fetch all rows within the stored procedure and pass them back to Visual Basic as a PL/SQL table. This is Oracle's version of a single dimensioned array.

Option Two
Use what is known as a cursor variable in ORACLE. This stores the SQL in the database and passes a pointer to a cursor back to the client as a parameter. The client then fetches the rows using the cursor variable.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Collin Bath.
cbath_at_nortelnetworks.com Received on Fri Sep 24 1999 - 03:03:04 CDT