Re: JDBC vs SQLJ

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 17:37:32 -0400

A copy of this was sent to "Anna Vaynerman" <Anna.Vaynerman_at_unisys.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Thu, 23 Sep 1999 15:07:40 -0500, you wrote:

>Hello
>We are trying to improve performance of our Java application that accesses
>Oracle 8.
>We are running it on NT. The initial test was made with JDK1.2.2 and Oracle
>JDBC drivers.
>The second implementation was made using SQLJ. To our great surprise, the
>application
>became slower. Isn't it true, that SQLJ is supposed to make it run faster?
>Since current SQLJ requires JDK1.1, we had to run sqlj translator using
>JDK1.1 and than compiled the
>generated Java files with JDK1.2. Are we doing something wrong?
>Can anybody give any advice on how to improve performance?
>Thank you!

sqlj is processed into jdbc.

if you write 'good', 'optimized' jdbc code -- it'll probably be faster (stands a good chance) then computer generated jdbc code.

I can write an application faster using sqlj (less code to write).

A hand coded application in jdbc has a chance at being faster if the coder is good (or slower if not).

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Thu Sep 23 1999 - 16:37:32 CDT