Re: Error using BFILEs

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 17:35:25 -0400

A copy of this was sent to "Venu Jadcherla" <venuj_at_mycfo.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Thu, 23 Sep 1999 11:30:48 -0700, you wrote:

>I created a BFILE using the BFILENAME method and I
> used the "CREATE DIRECTORY" to create a directory and
> pass it to the BFILENAME procedure. The file that I am referring
> to using a BFILE exists in that directory. I keep getting an error
> "file or directory not found" when I try to call the DBMS_LOB
> "fileopen" method. The directory is on the same machine as the
> oracle server and I am trying to access it from a client instance
> of the oracle server.
>
>Thanks in advance for your replies.

when you created the directory, you probably did something like:

create directory my_files as '/path/to/somewhere';

when you did the bfile, you probably coded:

   x := bfile( 'my_files', 'x.txt' );

when you created the directory, the name my_files was folded to upper case. when you called bfile -- it is not (case is preserved).

solution 1:

use: x := bfile( 'MY_FILES', 'x.txt' );

solution 2:

create directory "my_files" as '/path/to/somewhere';

use quotes to preserve the case of the directory object.

Remember: an example showing your error in a couple of lines will really help us in diagnosing them. I'm guessing totally at your problem here....

>Cheers,
>Venu
>
>venuj_at_mycfo.com

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Thu Sep 23 1999 - 16:35:25 CDT