Re: How to create objects in specific data_files ?

From: <akk_16_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 17:23:45 GMT

You could have one datafile assigned per tablespace and that way u can put the object on a specific datafile. Although tedious this could be done. With raid and striping etc. these days there is very little control one has over putting a specific database object at a specific part of the disk drive. Just do a good logical distribution of ur database objects and let the hardware guys handle the rest.

-anil

In article <37E8C50E.A0E828FC_at_Unforgettable.com>,   BlueSax_at_Unforgettable.com wrote:
> The rule is more like don't put a table and index on the same spindle.
> There is a difference. If you have a multi-platter drive that is
logically
> divided into multiple file systems then nothing is really gained by
putting
> a table in a datafile on one file system and the indexes in a datafile
on
> another file system on the same physical drive. What you really need
is two
> seperate physical drives.
>
> Nemniss wrote:
> >
> > You can try to partition the indexes and tables. By doing so you
can split
> > the load evenly across the datafiles. Just remember the golden
rule: Don't
> > put the table, and it's index on the same drive.
> >
> > Nemniss
> >
> > Mirza Mohsin Beg <mbeg_at_netearnings.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am trying to create several indexes in a single tablespace which
has
> > > several datafiles over different several external drives.
> > >
> > > Is there any specific way to make Oracle 8.0.5 create specific
objects
> > > (ie the indexes) in specific datafiles, than having a different
> > > tablespace per index.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > -M
> > > ps: please email me directly also.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Sep 23 1999 - 12:23:45 CDT