Re: Redo Log and Network Resources

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 08:42:09 -0400

A copy of this was sent to Ho Yat-Fan <fanho_at_my-deja.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:09:11 GMT, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am using Oracle 7.3 on WinNT 4.0. I think these are natural
>questions.
>
>Consider the following 2 questions/cases:
>(1) Because of disk corruption, some datafiles corrupt, but the
>redo log files are in perfect condition. The last datafile backups
>(with redo logs etc) are restored and the archive logs applied.
>The question is: is there any way to apply also the logs/information
>recorded in the redo logs in good condition??

you are in archivelog mode. In that mode you do not backup online redo log files. when you goto recover, you restore data files and recover them using the archives and the ONLINE redo log that was current before you began the recovery.

it'll do it for you.

don't backup online redo log when in archive log mode or if you do -- DON'T ever restore it -- you'll wipe out your current online redo log (which you of course have multiplexed to 2 or 3 separate physical devices) and won't be able to recover with it.

>(2) In Windows NT 4.0, regarding the network properties, for the
>"Server" Component, one can choose "Optimized for File Sharing"
>vs "Optimized for
>Network resources". Is it that the later should be chosen when
>the server is an Oracle DB server?
>
>Thanks a lot.
>
>Rgds.,
>fan.
>ps. In case of possibility, please also send a copy of your reply to
>me at fan.ho_at_alumni.ust.hk

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Thu Sep 23 1999 - 07:42:09 CDT