Re: Connecting Excel to Oracle using ODBC

From: Chetan Wagle <chetanw_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:54:15 +0530

Hi Ananda,

  It's ver simple. Locate a product called 'Oracle ODBC' distributed by Oracle on some client CD's (like D2K for Windows) else go to http://technet.oracle.com and get it from there. Just install it on your machine and it will appear under 'Oracle for Windows 95' in Start menu.

   Set up your tnsnames.ora file properly and ensure that u can first connect using SQL*Plus (This has to work first since SQL*Plus has no connection with ODBC at all).

   Once SQL*Plus can connect, go to the 32-bit Administrator and create a new ODBC source using the newly-installed driver from Oracle. use this connection, it will work with Excel. Youcan check this too by first trying from MS-Query.

HTH,
Chetan
Bangalore, India