Re: Cost versus Rule based Optimizer

From: james f. koopmann <jkoopmann_at_servman.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 08:23:26 -0600

Aamer,
i have seen this problem also.
BEFORE changing from nothing being analyzed and then analyzing everything is a mistake
i have seen many administrators make. i am glad to see that you deleted the statistics and
i hope that overall performance went up. this change to your system is unfortunately one that
must be approached with caution and a systematic approach where you need to explain
all sql BEFORE analyzing and also AFTER and then compare what is better. you will most
often find out that you will have to change some sql but also have a mixture of analyzed tables
and un-analyzed tables. i would also just like to point out that a high buffer hit ratio and low sorts
is obviously what we want , but the ultimate goal is response time which will correlate to low i/o rates.
as an extreme example suppose we have a query SELECT name FROM employee WHERE id = :b1;
if this is the only sql in our system with no index and :b1 changes depending on the person we are
looking up in the table, we will do a full table scan with most data being in the buffer after the first
execution and we will have buffer hit ratio near 100%, but our response is slow. by contrast if we
put in index on this table data will fill the buffer slowly and will not be getting anywhere close to 100%
hit ratio until quite a few executions of this sql BUT our response will be extremely fast because I/O
will have been reduced.
you probably know all this and your e-mail suggests you do, but i wanted to post for more junior
administrators that need a push in the right direction to overcoming the cost/rule problem.

good day,
james koopmann
jkoopmann_at_servman.com
www.servman.com