Re: What is a Catalog and Database according to Oracle?

From: Joseph Weinstein <joe_at_weblogic.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 15:04:49 -0700

Steven Hill wrote:

> > A single
> > MS SQLServer instance can be subdivided into numerous autonomous databases,
> > each with it's own set of system tables and memory space. Each of these is called
> > a database. An MS SQLServer user can select from tables in any or all databases
> > to which he has permission, by fully qualifying the query.
> >

> Thanks for clarifications. Is the JDBC URL the same for all databases running on the same
> MS SQLServer instance?

This is driver-dependent. MS and Sybase have a default database context for every given user, which can be administratively set per-user. Our drivers allow you to specify the initial database context for the JDBC connection, via property or URL, or dynamically change the database context of the connection via the Connection.setCatalog() call. Informix has separate databases within a single Informix instance, but the binding of a connection with a database is fixed permanently at connect time for the life of the connection. Joe

--
PS: Hey folks, we're hiring Java engineers for our WebLogic

    Engineering group in downtown S.F. Send me your resume.

                    The Weblogic Application Server from BEA
         JavaWorld Editor's Choice Award: Best Web Application Server
  Java Developer's Journal Editor's Choice Award: Best Web Application Server
     Crossroads A-List Award: Rapid Application Development Tools for Java
Intelligent Enterprise RealWare: Best Application Using a Component Architecture
               http://weblogic.beasys.com/press/awards/index.htm