Re: Rollback segments take on/offline randomly

From: Xuequn Xu <xux_at_informa.bio.caltech.edu>
Date: 21 Sep 1999 18:48:52 GMT

From oracle documaentation:

"...if you try to take a rollback segment that contains rollback data for active transactions (local, remote, or distributed) offline, Oracle makes the rollback segment unavailable to future transactions and takes it offline after all the active transactions using the rollback segment complete. Until the transactions complete, the rollback segment cannot be brought online by any instance other than the one that was trying to take it offline. During this period, the rollback segment's status in the view DBA_ROLLBACK_SEGS remains ONLINE; however, the rollback segment's status in the view V$ROLLSTAT is PENDING OFFLINE."

You may want to shutdown your database, edit the init<SID>.ora initialization parameter (ROLLBACK_SEGMENTS= ), include your new rollback segs and restart the instance.

"Robert" Xuequn Xu, Oracle DBA
Caltech, Pasadena, CA 91125

Vincent GRENET (vincent.grenet_at_free.fr) wrote:
: Hi all.

: The rollback segments in the database are taken online or offline randomly
: by the server without any manual action. Why is that ?

: I created the database with the installer which creates four rollback
: segments, I added 5 other rollback segments. I switched offline the segments
: created by the installer (I could have dropped them but I didn't.) and
: switched online mine. After a running the applications for a while, I check
: the segments in dba_rollback_segs, and 3 of my segments (allways the same)
: are taken offline, and the 4 segments created by the installer are brought
: back online.

: Any help welcome.

: Vincent