stored procedures in Oracle

From: paul cluiss <paul_cluiss_at_intervoice.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 09:28:25 -0500

All,

I need to know if Oracle stored procedures and functions have built-in concurency control, so that in a multi-user environment at most only one user can execute the stored object at a time. My Oracle PL/SQL book hints at this but I would like confirmation from y'all. To put it another way, if my system has 5 users and I write a stored procedure to insert some records, and this procedure is the only way my users insert the records, then will Oracle do the appropriate locking on the tables for my users thereby maintaining data integrity?

Furthermore, will Oracle automatically rollback the transaction if it should fail? I haven't had much success trying to code BEGIN TRANSACTION; ... END TRANSACTION; statements in PL/SQL.

Thanks a bunch,

Paul Received on Tue Sep 21 1999 - 09:28:25 CDT