Re: Oracle Certification??? DBA or Developer

From: Rob Dickens <robert.dickens_at_bt.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 09:20:23 +0100

Darren,

As a starting point I would consider two issues.

Firstly I would take a long hard look as to which career route you see yourself pursuing,
which would your prefer to be a DBA or Developer. Having both might make you extremely marketable but the market may also push you into a role that you do not want
to do full time. In the UK there is a shortage of ORACLE DBA's , anyone having both
would more likely end up being pushed towards the DBA route. This is just something to
consider, make sure you are clear on what you want.

Secondly, but not so important as everyone can learn is which are you strongest in at the
moment. It may be worth while downloading the candidate agreements for both and then seeing where you currently are in terms of your knowledge in each of the areas.

Rob Dickens
OCP Developer
For practical advice and tips on becoming an OCP developer http://www.btinternet.com/~rob.dickens/OCP.htm