Re: What is a Catalog and Database according to Oracle?

From: Steven Hill <java410_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 20:49:08 -0400

If a 'user' corresponds to the term 'schema' then what do you call the collection of schemas that a user has access to?

Are you saying that the terms "catalog" and "database" can be used interchangeably?

According to the standard you can have a SQL statement that references objects from more than one catalog. You mentioned that MS SQLServer and Sybase support multiple catalogs. So do these products support a statement such as:

select table_alias1.*, table_alias2.*
from catalog1.schema1.table1 table_alias1, catalog2.schema1.table1 table_alias2 where table_alias1.column1 = table_alias2.column1

Thanks,
Steven Hill