Re: WebDB: forms form updating tables. Please HELP!

From: Harlin Setiadarma <harlins_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 07:21:55 +0700

Hi Carlo,
I have the same problem when I first exploring WebDB. First of all I want to ask you what version of WebDB do you have ? WebDB 2.0 and WebDB 2.1 is very different in handling these form.

In WebDB 2.0 try this :
- create link to your form with colomn=(your primary key column), argument 1 = ROWID and (I forgot the name) the matching parameter(?) below to P_ROWID. - after link successfully created, click test. Then you can see your primary key column listed. Click that column an voila! you'll see your record in form with Edit + Delete button (No Insert button). --> note the url there is some ? parameter - so you need to build another QBE or Reports that list your table's row and give your form's link to the link parameter.

In WebDB 2.1 try this :
- create link to your form. Fill :

      P_ROWID              Column         (your primary key column name)
                                                          -- here you
specify your unique/primary key
      P_ALT_ROWID     Literal            (your primary key column name)
                                                          -- here you
specify your alternate primary key name

Note that in this version you cannot use ROWID as your unique key! Also you cannot specify more that one column as primary/unique key. The only solution I found is to create a sequence in that table, then I use the sequence as unique key in my form.

Suggestion :
Explore QBE and Report then you will found which are that suitable for your needs. They are *almost* exactly has the same function. List table's row, can have query & order by parameter, can have link to form, etc.
The only difference is QBE can insert row, but with a difficult way (cannot LOV, cannot order it's column position, etc). I prefer to build report for query, edit, delete operation and use form to insert record.
Try both, and you'll understand what I mean...... After all WebDB is not bad at all.

Regards,

Harlin Setiadarma

Perkasa Pilar Utama, PT.
An Oracle Business Partner

Carlo Goldoni <cgoldoni_at_etnoteam.it> wrote in message news:7rogs1$20eu$1_at_stargate1.inet.it...
> Hi. everybody.
>
> I created a form based on a table: its purpose was to give users a chance
> quickly update the records of this table. Unfortunately, only the INSERT
and
> RESET buttons appear in the form.
>
> In other words, I am not able to use this form to update any record of the
> table.
>
> I have Browse and Build privileges on my own schema, and both the table
and
> the form have been created in this schema. Besides, I have the following
> roles and/or grants:
> RESOURCE, WEBDB_DEVELOPER, CREATE SESSION, CREATE TABLE, CREATE TYPE,
CREATE