Re: a basic question

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 23:41:39 +0200

Hi Paul,
dual is general purpose table for all information you need to retrieve from the database and is not stored in proper tables examples
select sysdate from dual;
select userenv('sessionid') from dual;
select sequence.nextval from dual;
The content of your dual table is correct. Please don't mess with it. Everywhere a select from dual expects to return one and exactly one row.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA