Re: Whatever happened to...

From: Vernon Adams <vernon_at_ezgov.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 18:43:07 -0400

Craig Despres wrote:

> We have started to develop a web based application, and have some experience
> in the IIS/MTS Microsoft world. Is there an equivalent to Microsoft
> Transaction Server (MTS) in the Oracle/Java world?
>
> --
> Craig Despres
> Synergy Solutions Inc.

In the Java world there are standards that is somewhat equivalent to IIS/MTS. For IIS, you can use Java Servlets and JSP (JSP is the Java equivalent to ActiveX Server Pages) and Java Servlets are more like in-process CGI programs. For MTS, the
Java standard is Enterprise Java Beans (EJB). EJB is a Sun defined standard for transactional, persistent Java Beans. Beans are similar to ActiveX/COM objects. The EJB standard defines an enclosing environment that implements transactions and persistence. Since this is a standard, you can choose from muliple vendors for the actual implementation. This technology is still fairly young so the number of EJB implementations is still fairly small (though growing).

--
Vernon J. Adams
ezgov.com, Inc.