VB and ODBC

From: Mike Burden <mburden_at_uk.att.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 23:01:03 +0100

I am attempting to change a VB program to use Async calls in DOA to allow longer running queries to be terminated by the user. This simple task so far has completely thwarted me with what seems to be bugs in one of the programming layers.

These are the problems I've encountered so far.

  1. When running a query the request to abort just waits until the query finishes. The abort command is sent but the query just runs on and only aborts once it is complete.
  2. When running a second query using the same SQL the recordset stillexecuting property is never set to false. If you break in and force it past the stillexecuting loop it returns the data so it seems as though the stillexecuting property is just not being set even though the SQL has finished.
  3. DBGrid when attached to a data control stops reading rows when the buffer szie of one hundred is reached. You can't scroll further down even though there are more rows.
  4. I then controlled my own record set and used UnBoundReadData event and guess what. I couldn't read past the buffer size. The only work around here is to movelast before any data is displayed.

If I remove the async parameter it all works fine. What on earth is going on?????

This is just a few of a number of problems. It seems that any work around I choose throws up yet another problem.

There must be other people who have used DOA async calls.

My Stack is as follows:

Windows 98 4.10.1998
VB5
DOA 3.5
Oracle ODBC 8.05.06
Same problem when using Microsoft ODBC driver. Personal Oracle 8.0.4

I get similar problems when I try it at work this time using Oracle 7.3.4

Does anyone have any clues. Just some pointers would be nice. Received on Mon Sep 20 1999 - 17:01:03 CDT