Re: PL/SQL Output problem

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 10:54:43 -0400

A copy of this was sent to "Evelyn" <onezero_at_post1.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 21 Sep 1999 00:33:29 +1000, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>First of all, thank you for taking time to read my posting. I have written a
>small procedure to help me locate a department name and it's address, and i
>would like to print these information onto the screen in a nice format.
>Example:
>Department: xxxxx
>Manager: aaaaa, bbbbbb
>
>my codes are something like this:
> dbms_output.enable;
> dbms_output.put_line('Department: ' || deptname);
> dbms_output.put_line('Manager: ' || mgrlname || ', ' || mgrfname);
>
>my procedure complie successfully without any errors, however when i try to
>execute my procedure i got these runtime error saying:
>21/3 PLS-00306: wrong number or types of arguments in call to
> 'PUT_LINE'
>
>21/3 PL/SQL: Statement ignored
>22/3 PLS-00306: wrong number or types of arguments in call to
> 'PUT_LINE'
>
>22/3 PL/SQL: Statement ignored
>
>I don't quite understand what these errors means. All my variables
>(deptname, mgrfname, mgrlname) are of type varchar2(20). Where did i go
>wrong? I really appreaciate your help very much. Thanks in advance!

lets see what lines 21 and 22 look like exactly. After compiling the block in sqlplus issue:

SQL> SHOW ERRORS
SQL> list 21 22

that'll show us the exact errors. The stuff you have above looks OK.

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Mon Sep 20 1999 - 09:54:43 CDT