Running Oracle 805 on Linux

From: <kodava_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 21:20:26 -0700

Hi all,

    I've been charted to design a web site..Like most web sites, it will have a bunch of web servers fronting some application servers and one database (Oracle) server. Now I would like to have 3 or 4 e-machines Celeron systems running Linux as my web servers, feeding into a load balancing switch such as a Foundry ServerIron or an Alteon AceDirector. On the back end, I would like to stay with Linux as far as possible -- I will be having things like chat servers and mail servers, and I cannot see why Linux won't work here.

    The thing that's keeping me up at nights though is Oracle. I'd really like to run it on Linux, but I don't know how strong Oracle's committment is to Linux. For that matter, I do not know if Linux can scale to running a gigantic database server -- we're very small right now but expect to grow rapidly (obviously ;) I expect the database to be up in the multi-hundred-gigabyte range in the next few months. This isn't going to be one of those inactive database servers, folks are going to be inserting, deleting, and updating records all the time. Its come down to Linux/Intel because its cost effective (we're tight on $$$) vs Solaris/Sparc because Sun/Oracle have such a tight relationship. I'm equally familiar w/ Linux and Solaris BTW. I'd like to stay w/ RedHat 5.2, since its a release behind.

    Has anyone else had to make a similar decision? What did you end up doing? Why? If you chose Linux which vendor's h/w did you go with? I've been looking @ SGI's 1400L, and it looks pretty tasty, but was wondering what the Linux db h/w vendor of choice was (if there was one)

Regards,
KSC Received on Fri Sep 17 1999 - 23:20:26 CDT