Re: Transferring LONG RAW from TAB1 to TAB2

From: <michael_bialik_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 21:05:39 GMT

In article <37E10FD1.F00D0715_at_theleme.com>,   Yann Chevriaux <chevriaux_at_theleme.com> wrote:
> I would to know how to copy a LONG RAW column from a table to another.
>
> The following based function failed with:
> ORA-00997: illegal use of LONG datatype
>
> function ArchiveRawData(dataId in number)
> return number
> is
> newArcId number;
> begin
> newArcId := NewId; -- NewId is a based function that return an UID
>
> insert into rawArchive (id, rawdata)
> select newArcId, rawdata
> from rawCurrent
> where id = dataId;
>
> return newArcId;
>
> end;
>
> I thought it could be a PL/SQL limitation but even with a simple SQL
> statement it fail as well.
>
> Configuration: NTServer; Oracle 7.3.2
>
> Please help !!!

Use PL/SQL instead :

function ArchiveRawData(dataId in number)  return number
 is

    newArcId number;
    newData rawCurrent.rawdata%TYPE;
  begin
    newArcId := NewId; -- NewId is a based function that return an UID

    select rawdata into newData from rawCurrent       where id = dataId;

    insert into rawArchive (id, rawdata) values(newArcId,newData);

    return newArcId;

 end;

 Good luck. Michael.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Sep 17 1999 - 16:05:39 CDT