Please Help with Cursor Fetch Updating

From: <gcoyle_at_cbs.webramp.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 03:21:46 GMT

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help with a snipit of code for this problem. I can't seem to understand how to post the fetch record based on the tran_code D (Delete) or A(ADD).

Details:
I have a table called mc_dir the key fields in this table are LastName,FirstName,Number.
On a nightly basis a dbase file is posted(A Transaction file) with the following fields:
LastName,FirstName,extsn,Tran_code.
this table is called gctemp. I convert the file to ascii and sqlload into gctemp

I need to compare the tran_code in gctemp and If the trans code is a D delete the record in mc_dir If the trans code is a A add the record in mc_dir

I created a cursor to fetch the records like this:

cursor compare_tables is

    select lastname,firstname,number_,TRAN_CODE,uid_  from Mc_Dir MC, gctemp GC
 where

   UPPER(mc.lastname) = UPPER(gc.last_name) and
   UPPER(mc.firstname) = UPPER(gc.first_name) and
   UPPER(mc.number_) = UPPER(gc.extsn) ;

Here is where i get confused and need help

if trans_code is D how do I tell oracle to delete current record from mc_dir.
or if tran_code is A insert(if not in mc_dir) or update if found.

Any Help would be great.

Thanks alot,
GC Received on Thu Sep 16 1999 - 22:21:46 CDT