Re: Which Date standard does Oracle use?

From: Ed Prochak <prochak_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 17:27:30 GMT

In article <7rp528$4j8$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Libby Elliott <elliottel_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> For Y2K reasons we had a customer ask us this question regarding our
> product and back end database. We write our product for 3 databases
> Oracle being one of them.
>
> 1. What date standard is used, if any:
> International Org. for Standardization's CCYYMMDD format
> ANSI X3.30-1985
> ANSI X3.51-1994
> ISO 8601:1988
>
> So far I haven't found this information on Oracle TechNet or Metalink
> or in any documentaion we have. I did find some good info in Oracle's
> Y2K white paper, but wanted to see what info others had.
>
> --
> Thanks for the help!
>
> Libby

Internally, Oracle stores it, I believe, in its own format (some number of fractional seconds??). Since Oracle was developed before any of those formats, it'd be hard to be fully conforming. As far as entering or displaying the date, then you are back to things like the date conversion functions. (see TO_DATE and TO_CHAR since you can specify the format)

--
Ed Prochak
Magic Interface, Ltd.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Sep 16 1999 - 12:27:30 CDT