Re: ps -lef returns this Oracle process oracleWG73 (LOCAL=NO)

From: Will Parsons <w.parsons_at_leeds.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 09:28:23 +0100 (BST)

Seigmund,

These are SQL*NET connections from client machines. Users who connect in through SQL*NET have their processes(the ones you are seeing) spawned in background (therefore Parent PID =1) so that the spawning process (the Oracle Listener) can be shutdown without kicking all the users out of the database.

If you're in doubt as to whether a process IS valid or not, look at V$SESSION , "process" column. On UNIX platforms this gives you the (unix) PID's of processes attached to the database. If it's not in that list, then it's probably defunct. Unfortunatly, none of this is straightforward on NT.

Will

--

ISS UNIX support
The University Of Leeds.