Re: WebDB - Form contents in PL/SQL code

From: Dave Grantier <foobar_dave_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 11:52:51 GMT

Yep, I'm trying the procedure route. Validating the data hasn't be the tough part, though...I'm just trying to sort out how to best interface WebDB to my validation routines...that is, how do I tell the user (who is in a web browser), "You entered something that doesn't work. Go back and blah blah blah."

For those that are interested (and can possibly provide some tips?): If I want to update a form based on more than one table, the thing to do is to write a procedure which updates the tables (validating data, checking constraints, trapping exceptions, etc.) and then build the form on that procedure, rather than on one of the tables.

Other comments, tips, etc. are still certainly welcome, as I am fairly new to this WebDB thing.

Thanks again,
Dave

--

+---------------------+---------------+
|nojunkmail_at_nospam.com| mindspring.com| |nospam_at_nojunkmail.com| davegrantier@ |

In article <7rhuhr$36s$1_at_platinum.sge.net>,   "Rod Stewart" <rod.stewart_at_afp.gov.au> wrote:
> If I understand your question correctly, there are probably a couple
of ways
> to do this. The first would be to use a trigger that fires on insert
into a
> table, looking something like this:
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER before_blah
> BEFORE INSERT OR UPDATE
> ON Blah
> REFERENCING OLD AS OLD NEW AS NEW
> FOR EACH ROW
> begin
> if :new.blah_id = .... then
> end if;
> Exception
> when ... then
>
> end;
> end;
>
> and so on. Raise an exception if the data doesn't validate and
continue
> from there. Another similar way is to control any inserts/updates by
using
> a function or procedure. This is basically the same thing except that
you
> are calling the program explicity.
>
> create or repalce procedure insert_blah (pBlah_ID IN number) is
>
> begin
> if pBlah_ID = whatever then
> insert into blah(id) values(whatever);
> else
> raise blah_exception;
> end if;
> end;
> /
>
> or something like that.
>
> HTH
>
> Rod J. Stewart
>
> Dave Grantier <dave_at_foobar.com> wrote in message
> > All,
> > I'm using WebDB for our Company's Intranet web site. I'm trying to
> > pull some form level input into PL/SQL for some validation after teh
> > user submits but before updating the database. How can I
> > trap/edit/evaluate user responses in PL/SQL before updating, etc.
the
> > database? The manuals don't really address how to do it.
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Dave

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Mon Sep 13 1999 - 06:52:51 CDT