Re: Why does Oracle 8 seem like such a big mess?

From: Alan Hancock <alanh_at_zoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 19:43:22 +0100

The other MAJOR thing not to lose sight of is that Oracle should not be selected for its user interface (UI) alone. The UI is important, but to an Business it should be a peripheral consideration.

Oracle is extremely scalable and tune-able and that's the grounds on which you should select it. If i were an IT director, then i'd be extremely concerned if my user population suffered bad performance (and horror- or horrors i couldn't scale that population upwards) just because the RDBMS my company selected was chosen because of its ease of administration. If this were not true, then companies would just select MS Access for their 100+user applications on the grounds that the user interface is quite good.

There is some hope though - the Oracle Enterprise Manager suite is very good once you've got over the permissions concepts, and it will give you the degree of graphical control that you're looking for. It also has tuning tools. As always, be prepared to part with the folding stuff as you discover ever-cooler add-ons.

I can currently install Oracle 8i Enterprise Server, a demo database, and Enterprise Manager on my Pentium at home in under half an hour, which i think is pretty good going. In comparison it took me a week to install Oracle 7 on Linux recently. So posts like yours are necessary if Oracle is to pull all its product install/admin procedures up to the current standard of the NT versions.

alan

Steve Bowen <chive_at_jps.net> wrote in message news:7rb5r7$m5v$1_at_oak.prod.itd.earthlink.net...
> Over the last few months I've been evaluating various databases on Linux.
> I've worked with Oracle, Sybase ASE, Informix, MySQL and PostgreSQL.
>
> I have to admit that Oracle baffles me. A great many things that should be
> simple and easy seem to be difficult and messy. Working with Oracle
> databases seems to require opening a multitude of different management
> tools. The Linux install routines have suffered from a large number of
bugs
> and errors. Making simple backups seem to be incredibly difficult.
>
> What am I missing? Is it that Oracle is so powerful for large
installations
> that people are willing to live with it's weaknesses and oddities? Oracle
> skills are much in demand but I find that working with Sybase or Informix
> much more pleasant and productive.
>
> I'm not trying to be argumentative. Here at work I'm stuck with MS SQL7.
But