Re: Something about OPS settings??

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 10:17:29 +0100

A private thread can be used only by the instance which has that thread number in its init.ora file, whereas a public thread can be used by any instance (for which a private thread does not exist).

Personally I prefer to have them all private threads but only because of the option for disk affinity.

Assume instance 1 is running on a machine which is 'close to' disc 1, and instance 2 is running on a machine which is 'close to' disk 2.

If you create one set of log files on disk 1, and another on disk 2, then the ideal for performance reasons is for instance 1 to use the redo logs (i.e. by setting private threads) on disc 1 and instance 2 to use the redo logs on disk 2. If the threads were enabled as public threads, the first instance to start could grab either set of redo logs.

Of course, if there is no disk affinity possible, it doesn't really matter.

If you want to change one or other thread:

    shut down the instance using it
    disable the thread from the other instance

        (which may force some archiving to take place)     enable the thread from the other instance, changing its state     re-start the stopped instance.

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

ccdicky wrote in message <7reffn$78b11_at_imsp212.netvigator.com>...
>Hi everybody,
>
>I've just finished Oracle 7.3.4.3 OPS setup on AIX 4.1.5
>platform. Everything seems to be work fine so far (anyway, as expected).
>However, I forgot to set redo logs on the second instance to "Public
>Thread". As a result, the first instance is using "Public Thread"; whereas
>the second is using "Private Thread".
>
>So my question is that should I keep the thread setting on both instances
in
>align? And what is the impact between "Public Thread" and "Private
Thread"?