Rollback usage on insert into empty table

From: <kgregory_at_ptc.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 14:29:57 GMT

Here's the situation:

    You've just created a table, haven't applied any indexes (or     PK constraints), and are now inserting a large number of rows     into the table. What happens to rollback segment usage?

The reason that I ask is that I did just this yesterday, and to the best of my knowledge (from DBA_FREE_SPACE, V$ROLLSTAT, V$TRANSACTION and V$SESS_IO), there was little or no rollback space consumed. The various "consistent write" fields showed low numbers, and the free space did not decrease.

When I was thinking about this, it made sense: the rollback segment preserves a pre-transaction view of the table/index data. Before the transaction, the table contained no data, so the rollback should hold only those few blocks associated with an empty table.

Is this correct?

-kdg

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Sep 10 1999 - 09:29:57 CDT