careers guidance

From: bryn <brynJ_at_welshnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 00:14:38 +0100

I currently work as an Internal Auditor but I have decided to apply for a Trainee Database Administrator / Programmer. The advert says that the organisation uses Oracle but it does not specify which version. It also says that applicants should have either an IT qualification or "some" IT experience. My qualifications are not in IT (Maths, Physics, Chemistry A-Levels and a degree in Accounting & Finance) and my work experience is internal auditing and payroll administration. The reason I am applying is this -

When I was at school, there was about 1 BBC Model B per 20 pupils and I didn't have a computer at home since they were expensive. When I started work as a Payroll Administrator I was sat in front of a VDU. 3 years ago I was finally given a PC but since I hadn't used one much (word processing and the odd spreadsheet at Uni) I didn't really know how to use one. During working hours I didn't have time to fiddle with my PC so in order that I could learn how to use one properly, I bought one in November 1997. Since then, I am absolutely hooked. I find computing absolutely fascinating and I'd like to work in the IT field.

The reason for posting this message is that I would be grateful for any advice regarding -

What will an employer be looking for in a Trainee Database Administrator / Programmer?
Is a fascination with IT and an eagerness to learn about database administration and programming likely to be enough? What kind of IT experience would someone need to be able to train to be a Database Administrator / Programmer?
The (very) basics of Oracle.

Thank you, in advance, for your advice

Bryn Jones

Please remove the J from my email address when replying Received on Fri Sep 10 1999 - 18:14:38 CDT