Re: DBA OCP employment questions

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 13:40:55 -0400

Disinformation Agent wrote in message
<7ra0s0$26i$1_at_birch.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...
>I need some advice, guys.
>
>I am working my way through the Oracle DBA coursework. I've
passed the
>PL/SQL exam and will sit for the Administration exam in a couple
of weeks.
>At what point in the certification process do I become
employable as a
>useful member of the Oracle community?

It all depends on how desparate the prospective employer is and how many DBAs they already have on staff. If you find someone who is desparate and is looking for a 4th DBA you may have a chance.

Being realistic very few organizations are willing to hire an inexperienced DBA unless that person has significant experience as an Oracle developer.

What is the level of knowledge
>required to be productive in the Oracle workplace?

    If you are familiar with the Complete Reference and can turn to the appropriate place in the book without doing any hunting and searching you know enough to be productive.

>Also, how does one break the experience barrier when applying
for an Oracle
>position?

Like I said, find someone who is in dire straights.

 I have IT experience in implementing database oriented
>applications, but I get the impression that means diddly as an
Oracle
>professional. Does anyone hire a fresh Oracle DBA? Or do
companies wait
>until two experienced DBA's mate and produce offspring?

If you find a company that will hire a fresh Oracle DBA that doesn't already have at least two experienced DBAs and they are a publicly traded company do all of us a favor and tell us who they are so we can sell their stock short and make a bundle when they get into trouble.

I only know of one Oracle DBA whose parent is also an Oracle DBA. Now that Oracle has been around long enough for the children of the first DBA's to have graduated college....

regards
jerry gitomer