Re: Any good articles on improving performance of large data loads?

From: Martin Hepworth <maxsec_at_usa.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 10:51:07 +0100

CHANGE username to westes wrote:

> I have a data load for 10K customers that takes over 10 hours to load.
> This same load procedure needs to be able to scale to load over 500K
> customers in 24 hours or less. I'm looking for advice on the most common
> causes of poor performance on a large data load in Oracle 8.
>
> Has anyone written any good articles on how to analyze such situations and
> on how to improve the load performance?
>
> --
> Will
>
> NOTE: To reply, CHANGE the username to westes AT uscsw.com

Will

Some initial thoughts..

Firstly remove any indexes/contraints on the tables you are loaading to. Also make sure that your tables are created large enough to hold the initial data, so it doesn't throw extents.

Having the tablespaces on a fast disk subsystem also helps....striped/mirroed (RAID 0+1) is MUCH faster that even hardware RAID5. Martin Received on Fri Sep 10 1999 - 04:51:07 CDT