DBA OCP employment questions

From: Disinformation Agent <pancreas_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 23:15:11 -0500

I need some advice, guys.

I am working my way through the Oracle DBA coursework. I've passed the PL/SQL exam and will sit for the Administration exam in a couple of weeks. At what point in the certification process do I become employable as a useful member of the Oracle community? What is the level of knowledge required to be productive in the Oracle workplace?

Also, how does one break the experience barrier when applying for an Oracle position? I have IT experience in implementing database oriented applications, but I get the impression that means diddly as an Oracle professional. Does anyone hire a fresh Oracle DBA? Or do companies wait until two experienced DBA's mate and produce offspring? Received on Thu Sep 09 1999 - 23:15:11 CDT