Re: insufficient priviledges error when trying to grant select

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 11:24:21 -0400

A copy of this was sent to "Jason Kratz" <JasonKratz_at_excite.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Thu, 9 Sep 1999 10:09:56 -0500, you wrote:

>Hello all....I'm fairly new to Oracle and ran across the following
>yesterday...
>
>I was trying to grant select priviledges on a table in one schema to a
>different user. I was logged in using INTERNAL (also tried this from
>SYSTEM). when I ran the statement I received the error that I didnt have
>sufficient priviledges to do this. Does SYS/INTERNAL not have all
>priviledges? I also logged in directly as SYS as well with the same result.
>I ended up logging in as the user that owned the table and doing it that way
>but I found it very strange that with a DBA account I couldnt do this. Any
>ideas?

only the OWNER of a table OR someone who has been granted SELECT on that table WITH GRANT OPTION can grant on an object.

SYS/INTERNAL can select any table but in order to transfer that privelege, they must have been granted select with grant option.

>Thanks,
>
>Jason

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Thu Sep 09 1999 - 10:24:21 CDT