Oracle Performance - RAID vs split tables

From: Raindrop Support <service__at__raindrop.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 14:11:31 +0100

Can anyone shed any light on a performance choice?

Many of our customers are worried about disk crashes and the resulting data loss so RAID is an obvious solution. We normally recommend hardware RAID5.

However, we have recently been advised by various Oracle gurus that it is better for Oracle performance to manually split up the physical locations of individual tables, indices and logs across physical disks. This cannot be done with RAID. Additionally, we have been advised that RAID5 actually *slows down* Oracle.

Any comments?

Replies to newsgroup please. Received on Thu Sep 09 1999 - 08:11:31 CDT