Re: HELP: Oracle advanced replication

From: Barbara Kennedy <barbken_at_teleport.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 20:37:30 -0700

Do you want sycronos or asynchronous replication? synchronous will allow the transaction to be in committed in N places, but will not work if one of the sites is unavailable (e.g. no network connection between the two) Asynchronous allows a store and forward method, so the refresh rate is important, but if the network connection goes down then things can still keep rolling.

Oracle runs a class, 4 or 5 days, on all this and it is worthwhile. If you need custom resolution methods and have a business need that requires subsecond replication etc. it would be a good idea to be well versed in what you want to do. You could easily spin your wheels for weeks and a class could really cut down that time and set your expectations properly. (i.e. ask the teacher, since a lot of the instructors also do consulting in the area of the class.)
Jim