Re: War Story; Error 3197 in MS Access w/ Oracle. Solved.

From: scaddenp <scaddenp_at_nospam>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 09:40:10 +1200

>I believe Oracle has something equivalent to the Microsoft SQl Server
>TIMESTAMP field which is a binary value that is unique on the server and
>changes whenever a record is updated. If a table has such a field, Access
>will use that field for optimistic locking instead of checking the values
of
>all the fields. This is fully documented by Microsoft.

No, sadly Oracle does not. The functionality of a TIMESTAMP field is trivial to implement
with a triggerr but of course ODBC does not recognise that as a TIMESTAMP field (in fact
it will make updates impossible because it appears to Access that someone has changed
data in the record). Received on Wed Sep 08 1999 - 16:40:10 CDT