Re: HELP: Oracle advanced replication

From: Dmitry Soldatkin <DSoldatkin_at_grtcorp.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 17:26:24 -0400

Furkan Khan wrote in message <37D6BE01.DD7DEC16_at_home.com>...
>Folks, I need to setup Oracle Advanced
>Replication (multi-master) with some custom
>collision resolution methods.
>
>Unfortunately, Oracle does not include a replication
>setup wizard. Has anyone experienced setting up
>oracle multi-master replication. Is it straight forward
>or does it require a PHD :-))
>
>Any suggestions/advice appreciated.

  A month ago I had such experience (but w/o custom collision resolution methods). In short you should perform following steps: 1) Make sure your databases running with 'global_names = true' 2) As user SYS run 'catrep.sql' and 'catrepad.sql' on all databases which will advanced replication
3) In initSID.ora add following parameters:

    job_queue_processes = <number_of_queue_processes>     job_queue_interval = <desired interval in seconds> 4) On master definition site (database site from which replication group will be administrated) create administrative account for replication and database links. Make sure that database links are working. 5) On MD site create replication group, add necessary objects to that group and generate replication support for all added objects (see package dbms_repcat for details). Notice what all tables which you adding to replication group _must_ have primary keys or unique column/columns. 6) On MD site add all others master sites to replication group and schedule propagation (see dbms_repcat and dbms_defer_sys) 7) On all master sites also schedule propagation and purge on deftran table 8) Then resume replication activity.

It is very hard to explain it in short because setup process is a quite difficult. I strongly recommend 'Oracle Distributed Systems' book by Charles Dye. I found it _very_ useful. Also following Mr. Dye's book I don't recommend use GUI Replication Manager because my experience with this product was negative.

Regards,
D.S. Received on Wed Sep 08 1999 - 16:26:24 CDT