Re: Any experience with Oracle 0040 with VB?

From: Norris <johnnie_at_cooper.com.hk>
Date: 8 Sep 1999 01:53:28 GMT

I think we still require to deploy net8 no matter we use ODBC, OLE-DB or OO4O.

Todd Hobdey <hobdey_at_bmhc.com> wrote:

: I haven't done a head-to-head comparison.  I'm using OO4O 2.3.0.2.0 in a VB6
: project of mine.  It works just fine, but I hate the distribution of Oracle
: components.  Anyone got an easy way to distribute Net80 and OO4O from, say,
: InstallShield?  Just copying the hundreds of required Oracle files,
: including tnsnames.ora, to a user's hard drive seems quite heavy handed and
: clunky.

: Norris <johnnie_at_cooper.com.hk> wrote in message
: news:7r25b9$2lfs$1_at_adenine.netfront.net...

:> ADB/OLE-DB is good if you connect to SQL Server. But if you are using
: oracle database, I think Oracle Object for OLE is much better.  For example
: the support of PL/SQL is good in OO4O.  I have installed OO4O from 8.0.5
: (2.3) and 8i (8.1.5).  It runs fast in Excel but I haven't compared with ADO
: (2.1) which I think it is still immature.  There are still a lot bugs and
: limitations need to improve

:>
:> In comp.databases.oracle.misc GAB <news3_at_baxnet.net> wrote:
:> > Has anyone ever had any experience with 0040? Why would I use this over
:> > say, ADO? I understand it's OLE, or OLE-DB to be specific. But upon
:> > installation of 0040 from 8.5 (8i), it bombed VB so it won't even start.
:> > (Complains about a corrupt dll).
:>
:> > But the real question is - is Ole-db really that much better? Easier?
:> > More robust? Quicker? Neater? Slicker?
:>
:> > GAB
:>
:> --
:> Have several nice days...
:> Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of the Corp.
:> http://www.ntfaq.com
:> http://www.jsiinc.com/reghack.htm
:> http://www.oconnell.net/Sybase_FAQ
:> http://www.cyberport.com/~tangent/programming/winsock/