Re: Cold backup!?

From: Bob Fazio <bob_fazio_at_hotmail.com.no.spam>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 23:37:20 GMT

--
Bob Fazio
Remove no.spam from my email to reply

Mikel <not_at_me.com> wrote in message
> Correct, online redo files are only used in instance recovery, not media
> recovery, therefore they are not required for a cold backup. To ensure
> you've captured all the online redo prior to the cold backup (shutting
down
> the db of course before the cold backup), do the following

Agreed!

> shutdown abort

A shutdown immediate would really be better. It allows Oracle to do cleanup that abort won't. In fact,
a shutdown abort will force an instance recovery upon startup. I have always been taught
in all of the Oracle DBA classes that I have attended to only do an abort as a last resort. See the following
excerpt from Oracle's documentation

SHUTDOWN command ::=

where:

ABORT Proceeds with the fastest possible shutdown. Does not wait for calls to complete or users to disconnect. Does not close or dismount the database, but does shut down the instance. Requires instance recovery on next startup. You must use this option if a background process terminates abnormally.

IMMEDIATE Does not wait for current calls to complete, prohibits further connects, and closes and dismounts the database. Finally, shuts down the instance. Does not wait for connected users to disconnect. Does not require instance recovery on next startup.

NORMAL Waits for currently connected users to disconnect from the database, prohibits further connects, and closes and dismounts the database. Finally, shuts down the instance. Does not require instance recovery on next startup. NORMAL is the default option.

> startup restrict
> alter system switch LOGFILE
> shutdown normal

> Mike
>

> terry norman <scott_at_tiger9.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> > I'm fairly new to Oracle and I'm very confused about this one.
> > Somewhere in the literature I am sure I have read that online redo log
> files
> > should not be backed up because, and I quote "they add no value to the
> > recovery process". If we're in a cold backup situation following a
> shutdown
> > immediate or shutdown normal is there actually anything in the online
redo
> > files which is needed for recovery?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Terry.
> >
> > Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
> > > No, you are not right. You will be missing out the ONLINE redo
logfiles,
> > ie
> > > the most current files.
> > > Say you have sequence 1, 2,3,4 archived and 5,6,7,8 online. The
> > controlfile
> > > will contain one of the sequence numbers 5,6,7,8.
> > > So if you have a crash, and you didn't backup the online redo log
files,
> > you
> > > will be forced to execute incomplete recovery and loose data. The
> archived
> > > files do not contain duplicates of the files online, they contain
files
> > that
> > > have been 'phased out'
> > >
> > > Hth,
> > >
> > > --
> > > Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
> > >

> > > Jack Zhu <jackzhu_at_monmouth.com> wrote in message

> 'dba_data_files',

files(log_arch_dest),