Re: Oracle Contractor's Estimate Too High ?

From: Glen Siferd <siferd_at_admin.uwex.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 15:46:40 -0500

Ah, yes, the old "120 hours?! I can do it in 4!" claim. Actually, not enought information is available in your post to determine if this is a reasonable estimate. If the task is just to rename some tables and columns, then a day might be sufficient. But: Is the database working correctly, now? Are the requirements changing in a way that requires more robustness and optimization in the DB?
"Changing things as we go" sounds like a recipe for disaster. Is this even a project for a DBA? If a complete re-design is in order, then the 120 hours estimate to learn how the data is to be collected, stored and utilized, and to design and implement a solution may be conservative. Received on Tue Sep 07 1999 - 15:46:40 CDT