Re: UTL_FILE?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 08:59:52 -0400

A copy of this was sent to dinos <cc_at_eexi.gr> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 07 Sep 1999 11:30:46 +0300, you wrote:

>Could anyone tell me where is the above package? (UTL_FILE) because I
>can't locate it.Which is the difference between this one and TEXT_IO
>package?

Utl_file is stored in the database with versions 7.3.3 on up (before that it simply didn't exist).

To 'see' them:

tkyte_at_8.0> select owner, object_type, status   2 from all_objects
  3 where object_name= 'UTL_FILE';

OWNER                          OBJECT_TYPE     STATUS
SYS                            PACKAGE         VALID
SYS                            PACKAGE BODY    VALID
PUBLIC                         SYNONYM         VALID

the major diff between text_io and utl_file is that text_io is a CLIENT side package (files will be created on the machine your application (the client) is running on. UTL_FILE is a server side package -- the files created by utl_file will be written on the server.

text_io can be used in clients that have a client side plsql engine such as forms.

utl_file is always used by stored procedures/triggers and other database stored objects.

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Sep 07 1999 - 07:59:52 CDT