generate random unique object id

From: <nwsread_at_cloudband.com>
Date: 7 Sep 1999 12:40:35 +0100

        I would like to generate random unique object id's on inserts into a table. Currently i have a number generator making unique object id's incrementally, but i would like to generate random numbers so that the users can' t make any distinctions from their assigned id's.

        help?

        i am thinking that i might just have my dbi client
code pick a random number out of 32bits and loop until it is unique. Most likely every choice would be as 4 billion objects (4 gigs or so) we will not have for a VERY long time.

        Does this sound like bad hack or good hack?