Re: UTL_FILE Question

From: <owais_anjum_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 05:06:42 GMT

In article <7r1bgk$35u$1_at_bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>,   "Jill" <jc_va_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> I want to write a PL/SQL procedure containing a call to UTL_FILE to
run on a
> Windows client against an Oracle/Unix server, but I want the resulting
flat
> text file to be written to the C: drive on the client, not the Unix
server.
> Is that possible without having to set utl_file_dir ?
>
> I am getting an error returned from fopen and I suspect it is
complaining
> about it.
>
> Thanks for any help.

Hello

There is no way you can write a file on the client side using UTL_FILE package...not even after setting the utl_file_dir parameter. This parameter only allows to set write permissions for directories on the server side.
A workaround is to generate the file on the server side and then FTP it to the client machine. You can also try to automate this process using scripts.

Good Luck
Owais

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Sep 07 1999 - 00:06:42 CDT